Hampton’s Historic Homesteads

Written and complied by Sandra L. (Bardonner) Rodenbaugh

(Published September-October 2013      

       The first settler in Hampton Township area was James McCaslin, a hunter and fur trapper.  He secured title to his land in 1794.  Most of the property is now the area known as Oak Hill Farms.  Early records also show John Walters, Revolutionary War soldier, arriving in the area shortly after James McCaslin arrived in 1794.  John Walters possibly received land in payment for his military service.  Early pioneers Alex McDonald and Frank Black settled on what was known as “Hardie Land” near an area known as “Upper Talley Cavey.”  Other early arrivals were:  Jacob Burkhardt, Robert McCurdy, George Whitesell, Robert and James Sample, Robert Hardie, Henry Hutchman, Sam Brown, David and William Williams, William and Henry McCully, Charles Anderson, John Herron, John McNeal, James Hart, David Patton and Ephraim Morrow.

History4-tinted

       Over two hundred years ago, before James McCaslin arrived in the area in 1794, the area we know as Hampton Township had no roads as we know them today.  The area north of the Allegheny River was pristine in nature with an abundance of beauty and natural resources.  It was accessible by land only by Indian trails or wildlife migration paths or by water via the streams which comprised the Allegheny River watershed.  After the Revolutionary War, the area became prime territory for the eventual settlement and development due to its proximity to the expanding settlement of Fort Pitt at the confluence of the Allegheny, Monongahela and the Ohio Rivers.

       Two main north south arteries, Butler Pike (Mt. Royal Blvd.) and Butler Plank Road (Wm. Flynn Highway, Rt. 8), would play a very historic part in linking the emerging settlement at the Point with the wilderness to the north.  As early Indian trails, these routes would first serve surveyors and later early settlers who immigrated to Western Pennsylvania to make their homes and raise their families in their newly adopted country.      

The BUTLER PIKE originated in Pittsburgh and traveled north first along the Allegheny River then along what is now Mt. Royal Boulevard to Rt. 8 and continuing through Butler to Erie.  Construction began in 1819 with the road opening in 1822 to stagecoach traffic.  The Butler Pike at first was rudimentary construction and provided a very rough ride for the passengers riding the stagecoaches which followed this route from Pittsburgh to Butler.  The trip took 14 hours and cost $1.50. Houses sprang up along this route to serve as roadhouses or early hotels for food, relief and lodging for the passengers.  Many of these roadhouses were often referred to as Mile markers along the route rather than by name.  The Butler Pike would eventually become a block stone road providing a more durable and permanent surface.

       The PITTSBURGH & BUTLER PLANK ROAD (Rt. 8) was first an Indian trail north, then a crude roadway and later served as an all-weather road for the Conestoga wagons.  It was built in 1852 at a cost of $1000 a mile and was upgraded to a 24 foot wide roadway with only the middle 8 feet planked.  There were toll houses where the road met the Butler Pike at the top of Talley Cavey hill.  Another toll house was located at the foot of the hill in Allison Park.  The toll for a traveler was $.02 a mile for one horse or $.35 a mile for a team.

       In 1832, the owners of the property along what is now the MIDDLE ROAD applied to Allegheny County for a permit for a road to be cut from the McElheney Gristmill (Wildwood Rd. Extension area) to the Kitanning Pike.  This road would provide easier access to markets for the settlers living in that area.  Owners of property were expected to donate part of their land for the roadway, help with the construction of the road through their property and maintain the roadbed year around. They were also to grade the ruts after the spring rains and snow removal in the winter months.  Construction and maintenance of the roadway was a neighborhood project.

       One of the first villages in the area was known as TALLEY CAVEY.  This was the name of a small village in Northern Ireland from which one of the early settlers in this area emigrated from.  Talley Cavey was the first post office in the early days before Hampton became a township.  Talley Cavey extended along Rt. 8 above Allison Park to the vicinity of Wildwood Road, known as “Lower Talley Cavey.” The area from Wildwood Road to the area near the turnpike, Hardies Road, was known to the early settlers as “Upper Talley Cavey.”  Many of the roads in the early days were named after a prominent settler who lived in the area or who owned property bordering the roadway.        

Anderson Family & Road

       Charles and Sarah (Thompson) Anderson, natives of Ireland, immigrated to America in 1825.  The family located in Baltimore for a few years before moving to Pittsburgh where Charles engaged in the grocery business.  In 1837 Charles moved his family to Talley Cavey to settle on land he had purchased from James Cunningham.  The parcel, a part of land known as “Green Grove Tract,” was located along what is now known as Rt. 8. 

       Charles Anderson was the first to settle and work the land.  He operated a brickyard on the property and built his house in 1837.  He also supplied the bricks and helped build the Reformed Presbyterian Church on Pioneer Road which serves as the present home of the Depreciation Lands Museum.  The Anderson house burned during the Civil War and was rebuilt in 1867.  Charles and Sarah Anderson had two sons, Samuel and Hugh who served in the Civil War.  Charles Anderson, an active member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, was buried in the Depreciation Lands Cemetery with his wife when he died in 1878.

History8-tinted

       Samuel Anderson, first born son of Charles and Sarah Anderson, was born in 1836 in Pittsburgh and brought to Talley Cavey as an infant.  In 1859 he married Charolette Hutchman, daughter of H.B. and Jane (Sangree) Hutchman of Richland.   In 1860 he purchased and managed a farm until he enlisted in Co. H., 6th Heavy Artillery.  At the end of the Civil War he returned to Talley Cavey and engaged in general mercantile business for a year.  Samuel and Sarah Anderson raised their family on his farm.  They were members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Talley Cavey. Samuel Anderson died in 1913 and is buried with his wife in Hampton Cemetery.

       Hugh Anderson, second son of Charles, was born 1839 at the Anderson family homestead.  Like his older brother, Samuel, Hugh enlisted in the Civil War.  Hugh enlisted in Co. I., 5th Pa. Heavy Artillery.  After the Civil War, Hugh returned home to reside at the Anderson homestead.  In 1869, Hugh married Mattie Plummer of Richland.  Hugh remained on the family farm and raised his family.  Hugh Anderson died 1907 and is buried with his wife in the Depreciation Lands Cemetery like his parents.

       At the present time, the Anderson Family Homestead once known as “Green Grove Parcel,” still stands at 4554 William Flynn Highway.  Due to the Commercial Development of the area, however, the stately old home built in 1837 and surviving a fire to be rebuilt in 1867 after the Civil War, will soon be lost forever when it is sold for future development along the Rt. 8 corridor.

                                         

Bardonner Family & Road

       In the fall of 1841, Johann Peter Bardonner, Eva Catharina Kling Bardonner, their 6 children and Eva’s brother, George, immigrated from Wallbach, Germany to America.  They sailed from Bremenhaven, Germany landing in Baltimore, November 4, 1841, having spent 52 days at sea.  The family left Baltimore traveling via the Pittsburgh Philadelphia Canal to meet Johnann Peters’ stepbrother, Johann Adam, who lived in Western Pennsylvania.  Upon arrival, the Bardonner family took up residence in the old town, “Allegheny” now known as the North Side.

       October 11, 1847, Johann Peter Bardonner was naturalized as a citizen and a clerical error occurred dropping one N from his last name.  His Americanized name became John Peter Bardoner.  Thus two different spelling of the name existed in Hampton Township.  In later years some family members chose to return to the original spelling of the family name in Germany.  Even members of the same paternal family have different spellings to this day.  Township roads and locations and the Civil War Plaque at the township Veterans Memorial reflect the clerical error in the spelling of the family name:  Bardonner Road and Bardoner Square.

       John Peter and Eva Catherine Bardoner had 10 children: 7 daughters and 3 sons.  Nine of their children married and remained in the area.  As the family grew, John Peter moved first to Perrysville, then to Wexford and finally settled in Hampton Township as reflected in the first township census in 1870. 

       Johann Nicholas Bardonner was born in 1839, the last child born in Germany before the family emigrated to American.  He was just a toddler when his family spent 52 days at sea to make the voyage to their new home.  As a young man, he learned farming from his father.  He enlisted in the Civil War Co. C  6th Regiment Heavy Artillery 212th Pa. Vol. with several others from the area.  After discharge he made 3 trips to seek his fortune in the California Gold Fields.  His first trip was by ship around South America and 2 trips were overland.  He returned home and married Lilly Stoup of Bakerstown in 1878.  He rented a large farm from Henry McCully and eventually settled in Allison Park running Bardoner’s Feed & Grain business.  John Nicholas Bardoner died in 1915 and was buried in Mt. Royal Cemetery.  His Civil War headstone is now part of the Veteran’s Memorial in Hampton Township.  The Civil War Plaque on the Wall of Honor was donated by the descendants of the John Nicholas Bardoner family commemorating his service as well as others who served in the Union Army from the surrounding area.

       Johann Peter’s youngest son, John Henry was born July 11, 1848 after the family arrived in Allegheny County.  He also learned to farm from his father but was too young to serve in the Civil War.  When his brother John Nicholas went to California, John Henry accompanied his older brother in search of wealth and adventure.  Both brothers returned home with a little money to marry and pursue farming like their father.  John Henry married Mary Pfischner and inherited his wife’s family farm.  The Bardonner farm bordered the Wickline Farm on Pioneer Road and extended across Rt. 8 and along Bardonner Road.  The property now owned by Home Depot and the Hampton Plaza were part of John Henry Bardonner’s Farm.  Bardonner Road is named after John Henry Bardonner.

 

Bryant Family & Road

       Samuel Bryant and Grace (Marsh) Bryant, natives of Stratford-On-Avon, England immigrated to America in 1830 and settled in Lycoming, Pennsylvania where Samuel Bryant died a year later. Grace Bryant came to Pittsburgh to join her son, James C. Bryant, who had preceded his parents to America three years prior.  James C. Bryant was born in Stratford-on-Avon, England, July 7, 1813 and educated in England.  He came to Pittsburgh at 17 years of age and apprenticed charcoal refining of iron and worked in the business starting many refineries until 1840. In 1840, he purchased a farm near the township near the McCandless, Shaler Line.

History12-tinted

       James C. Bryant married Rachel, daughter of Major John & Jane (Ewing) Street.  James C. Bryant and his wife had 4 children:  Jane L. (wife of Isaac DeHaven), William Cullen, Milton C. and James S. Bryant who remained a farmer in Hampton.  James Bryant served as school director for 29 years and J.P. 5 years.  Bryant Road and formerly Bryant Station are named after him.

 

Ferguson Family & Road

       Robert Ferguson was a native of County Down, Ireland.  He came to America as a young man and made a permanent home in Allegheny County.  Robert Ferguson married Margaret Andrews in 1811 and had the following children: Mary, Elizabeth, Harriet, David, James, Harvey W., Robert and Hugh Ferguson.  Robert Ferguson was an active member of the Federalist & Whig political party and a member of the Presbyterian Church in Perrysville.

       Harvey W. Ferguson was born in 1820 on his parent’s family farm in Allegheny County.  Harvey received his education at the home schools.  In early manhood, he married Grisella, daughter of Robert McElheney, a native of Scotland, father of three daughters.  Harvey and Grisella Ferguson settled on the McElheney Farm and lived there for 4 years before moving to establish his own family farm.  Harvey W. Ferguson built his house named “Locust Grove” in 1868-1869 at 2301 Ferguson Road in the southern part of what was now Hampton Township.

       Harvey W. and Grisella Ferguson farmed and raised their family on their family farm.  Grisella’s father lived with the family in his later years as reflected in the 1860 McCandless’ Census.  This census also showed 4 children: Margaret A. (1847), Robert M. (1849), James H. (1851) and Samuel M. (1854), which were all born before the Ferguson family established their own Homestead on Ferguson Road in 1868. 

       The “Locust Grove,” was well established by the time it was pictured in 1876 Evert’s, History of Allegheny County.  Harvey Ferguson was active in the development of this part of the township by allowing the Butler Shortline to cross his property and supporting the improvement of the Butler Plank Road. The Ferguson Farmhouses still stand in the township along Ferguson Road which bears the family name.  The Ferguson family is also related by marriage to several of the founding families of Hampton Township: McCaslins and the Samples.

 

McCully Family & Road

       William Alexander McCully and Nancy Gilmore McCully, his wife, natives of County Down Ireland immigrated to America in 1825.  They located in Pittsburgh where William worked as a carpenter.  In 1832, William McCully purchased 159 acres of property in the Talley Cavey area of Hampton Township.  William built his homestead and farmed his property and raised 10 children who were all born on the family farm.  The McCully farm was located on the south side of McCully Road which was named for the patriarch, William McCully.  John McNeal, another Irishman, owned the farm across McCully Road from William’s farm. Charles Anderson’s farm was also in the same Talley Cavey area where many other early Irish immigrants settled.

       James Gilmore McCully, second born son (1840), was born on the farm and lived in the Homestead on the farm and worked with his father.  James Gilmore married Harriet Reed Strohm of Indiana Township who died giving birth to William Alexander McCully II in 1869.  As a widower, James continued to live with his parents on the family farm.  When “Little Allie” was old enough to attend the McElheney School, a one room school, he walked to school with his father’s younger sister.  “Little Allie” was smitten with his school teacher, Mary Ellen McClarren who would marry his father a year later in 1876.  “Little Allie” rode the train from DeHaven Station to Mary Ellen’s family farm in Collier township to be in his father’s wedding.  “Little Allie” would not live long enough to enjoy his new family and baby brother as he died 2 years later from whooping cough at 9 years of age. 

       James Gilmore and Mary Ellen McCully had 10 more children who were all raised on the McCully Family farm.  The children would help take care of their grandparents and James Gilmore’s crippled sister, Euphemia, who also lived on the farm. When William Alexander died in 1882, James Gilmore inherited the homestead and the majority of the McCully farm and took care of Nancy Gilmore until she died in 1885.  The McCully Farm was sold in 1906 after James Gilmore McCully died in 1903.  Mary Ellen McCully and 5 of the younger children moved to Etna to make their new home. This was a real change for a farmer’ wife and young children who knew nothing but the farm life and country living.

       Henry McCully, younger brother of William Alexander McCully, was born in Bally Black, County Down, Ireland in 1819.  Henry immigrated to America April 1, 1836.  Henry married Ellen Green Rice of Trenton, New Jersey in 1843 when she was 24 years old.  Henry became a citizen June 6, 1845 and was sponsored by Pastor McIlvaine in the Elfinwild area of Allegheny County. In 1849, Henry bought 190 acres of land from James Galbraith.  Henry’s property extended from Hart’s Run Road to Pine Creek near his brother’s property on McCully Road.  Henry called his parcel of land “Irish Hill.” Henry McCully also purchased property all over the area and paid the indenture for other Irish immigrants to immigrate to the area. 

       Due to the fact that Henry’s wife, Ellen Green Rice, was a Quaker, Henry had navigation rights on the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers.  Henry also had ¼ interest in the Allegheny Market which also involved H. J. Heinz from Sharpsburg.  Henry was more of a businessman than a farmer and often rented his properties to other farmers.  Henry and Ellen Green McCully had 8 children, 5 of whom lived to adulthood and married.  He served as Hampton Township’s 1st Tax Collector, also served as Justice of the Peace, and School Director.  Henry McCully died in 1887 and was buried in Pine Creek Cemetery as was his wife, Ellen Green.  Other McCully family members as well as many prominent Founding Families of Hampton Township are buried there.

 

McNeal Family & Road

        John and Margaret (Campbell) McNeal Sr. were natives of County Antrim, Ireland who immigrated to America about 1828 and settled in the South Side of Pittsburgh.  In 1834, John McNeal moved his family and settled in the Talley Cavey area now known as Hampton Township.  Two hundred acres known as “Mount Joy” owned by James Cunningham were sold to Robert Dunlap who in turn sold 100 acres to John McNeal Sr.  John McNeal’s property bordered the property owned by William McCully on south side of McCully Road and Charles Anderson’s property to the west.

Spinners

       John McNeal, son of John and Margaret McNeal, was born in Pittsburgh in 1829 and brought by his parents to their new home in the Talley Cavey area. John and Margaret McNeal built their homestead, which was originally a log home, and raised 7 children on their farm: Catherine (wife of Henry Thomas), John (1829), Jane, Arthur (1832), Henry (1835), Sarah (1838) and Margaret (1842).   The 1850 Indiana Census also shows a William Bennett who was 6 years old at the time living in the John McNeal Household. 

       John McNeal Sr.’s wife, Margaret McNeal, died in 1857 at 60 years of age.  After his wife’s death, John McNeal married Mrs. Hamilton from Butler County and had 2 more children; Frederick and Belle.  John McNeal and his family were members of St. Mary’s Catholic Church of Pine Creek located on the Middle Road near the Indiana County line.  This early church provided an early home for many of the early immigrants to the area.  John McNeal Sr. died July 4, 1885. 

       In 1851, John McNeal’s son, John, married Mary Cullen, daughter of Patrick Cullen, a farmer from Hampton Township.  The couple had 4 children.  Edward J. and William continued as farmers living in the area.  John McNeal served as Justice of the Peace in 1882 and 1887, assessor, school director and supervisor.  John McNeal, like his father, was also a member of St. Mary’s Church of Pine Creek.  John McNeal lived in Hampton Township until his death in 1900.

       The original homestead and farm was later occupied by Henry Campbell McNeal, son of John McNeal Sr., the original owner, who like his father made the farm his family home. Descendants of John McNeal Sr. have occupied the family homestead on McCully Road for over 180 years.  The McNeal homestead is presently owned by Richard Duffy, great grandson of John McNeal Sr. The home is located adjacent to Hampton High School and much of the original tract of land has been sold to Hampton Township Schools. The homestead, however, is probably one of the oldest log houses in continuous use by descendants of the same family in the township.

 

Hardy Family & Hardies Road

       Robert Hardy was born in Manchester, England in 1813 and immigrated to America July 4, 1827 at 14 years of age.  Robert located in Pittsburgh and engaged in the manufacture of spool cotton for 5 years. In 1832, Robert moved to his farm in Hampton Township. He is known as one of the Founding Families of the township. Robert Hardy located in the area known as “Upper Talley Cavey,” which at that time was part of Pine Township.  Robert Hardy married Nancy Stoup who was born in 1817 in Pine Township.  Nancy was the daughter of Jacob and Mary Stoup, prominent early pioneers in the northern part of the area.  Robert and Nancy Hardy had 7 children: Henrietta (1842), wife of Sam Campbell of Shaler, Esther (1842), Harriet (1847), Jacob S. (1849), born after the 1850 Pine Census: Nancy J., Maggie E., and Florence.  Maintaining the Hardy family farm with 6 daughters and only one son would have been a difficult task for Robert.

       The Hardy family were members of Pine Creek Congregational Church which originated near Hardies Road and the Butler Plank Road in 1805.  Robert Hardy and his wife are buried in the Pine Creek Congregational Church Cemetery behind Comfort Inn near the Turnpike on Rt. 8.

       In 1860, Robert Hardy was elected Justice of the Peace and served for 20 years. Hardies Road and Hardy Station on the P. & W. R.R. were named for him. He also served as township supervisor, overseer of the poor and school director as well as being an active member of his church.

 

Patton Family & Road

       David Patton Sr. was a native of Scotland who came to America during the Revolutionary War.  He fought with the Americans against the British throughout the War for Independence.  After the war, David settled in what was known as Pitt then Pine Township.  David Patton Sr. died about 1842 having married and fathered eleven children.  David Patton’s property was located south of McCully Road & on the west side of the Middle Road near the Grubbs’ property. David Patton is listed as one of the early Founding Families of Hampton Township.

       Benjamin Patton, son of David Patton Sr., was the 4th child born to David and his wife and was born in the area now known as Hampton Township.  Benjamin Patton apparently settled on land the heirs of James Cunningham also laid claim to.  Benjamin claimed the land by what was known as “Squatter’s Rights.“ Benjamin Patton married Mary Kilbreth and had nine children, two who were still alive in 1889.  Benjamin Patton lived as a farmer until his death in 1865.  

       James and David Patton (1821) were both farmers who were born and lived on the family homestead.  David Patton learned the wagon-maker trade but primarily worked as a farmer.  In 1844, David Patton married Sophia Grimm, daughter of a German immigrant, who was also an early settler in the township. David moved to his farm in 1862.  David and Sophia Patton had seven children: Josephine, Henrietta, Johanna (wife of James Brown), Louisa, Margaret (wife of Howard Glascow), David J. and Ross. The family were members of Bakerstown Presbyterian Church.  David Patton served as supervisor, assessor and town clerk in Hampton Township.

 

Poff Family & Poff Road

       Jacob and Margaret (Wentz) Poff were natives of Berks County, Pennsylvania.  Franklin Poff, their son, was born in 1827 while they were still living in Berks County. Jacob and Margaret Poff moved to Butler County in 1836 when Franklin as 9 years old. In 1845 Franklin married Barbara Ann Sloop, a native of Germany, who was born in 1826.

       In 1850 Franklin Poff moved with his wife and family to Hampton to settle in the northern part of the township.  Franklin Poff took residence in a log home which had previously been owned by Jacob Burkhardt, the McCurdy and the Armstrong families, all early settlers in the area. The homestead located on West Hardies is known as the “Poff House,” since Franklin and his family resided there longer than the other pioneer families.

       Barbara Ann Poff died in 1884 leaving 12 children: William T., Margaret (wife of Henry McDonald), Mary (wife of Casper Marks of Glenshaw), John, Charles, Benjamin, Robert, Harriet, Thomas and Ellen, Laura, and Blanche.  In 1886 Franklin Poff married a second time in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. 

       Franklin Poff was very interested in the education of children and donated property for an early school which would be named Poff School. Franklin Poff also served as school director and was active as a member of Pine Creek Congregational Church. Members of the Poff family are buried in the Pine Creek Cemetery on Rt. 8.

Sample Family & Road

       The history of the Sample family leads to early colonial days in Pennsylvania and to Ireland before that.  James Sample was born in Cumberland Valley, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1756.  He was a noted Indian fighter and a Revolutionary War soldier who received 400 acres of land for his military service.  James Sample tract of land was located near Girty’s Run where he settled in 1789 or 1790 with his family.  James Sample was married to Christine Taggert who was born in 1755.  James Sample fathered 8 children:  Mary (1780), James (1786), John (1788), Thomas (1791), Robert (1793), Eliza (1797), and William (1800). 

       Thomas Sample, born January 1, 1791, was the second male child born north and west of the Allegheny River.  Two weeks after his birth, Thomas, Mrs. Sample and her 3 other children, Mary 11, James 5, and John 3, were taken prisoner by Indians.  James Sample, a captain of a company of minutemen, was out on a scouting party looking for Indians who had raided settlers in the area the day before.  Mrs. Sample and her young children were rescued from captivity the same night by an Indian squaw that Mrs. Sample had furnished with clothing and other comforts the previous winter.  While the Indians were engaged in a war dance around the scalps that they had taken the day before, the squaw secured a light canoe, large enough for one person.  The squaw ferried the 3 older children across the partially frozen Allegheny River.  The squaw returned across the river and gave the canoe to Mrs. Sample to paddle herself and her 2 week old son, Thomas, to the other side to safety.  Mrs. Sample and her children spent the night at the Ewalt Farm before proceeding to the stockade at Fort Pitt for safety.

       Mr. Sample and his wife continued to make their home in the property in Girty’s Run.  James Sample raised his family and worked as a farmer and miller.  James Sample was one of the earliest pioneers to settle north of the Allegheny River in the area first known as PITT and later designated as PINE.  The 1800 Census shows only 171 pioneers inhabiting the area north of the river. Part of the Sample property was eventually sold to become part of the community of Millvale in 1868.

       Two of James Sample’s son, James, born in 1786, and his brother Robert, born in 1793, grew up on their family farm in Girty’s Run but made their way up Pine Creek to locate in the area which is now known as Sample-Wildwood.  James Sample built a mill in 1834 and Robert used his land near the present day Wildwood Road for farming. Robert Sample married Mary Simpson and fathered 9 children and resided on the family homestead until his death in 1886. Two of Robert’s children, Robert Jr. born 1835 and Silas born 1829 served in the Civil War and resided in Hampton Township until their deaths.

       The heritage of the Sample Family, early pioneers in Western Pennsylvania, is still in evidence in Hampton Township.  Evidence of the early pioneers has long since disappeared from Girty’s Run but two Sample homes are still standing in Hampton today.  James Sample’s log home is located at 4394 Wildwood Sample Road.  Robert Sample’s farmhouse is located on Vitullo Drive off Wildwood Road.  Robert’s home is also shown in 1876 Evert’s History of Allegheny County.  Sample Road and the stories of the adventures of this early pioneer family are also recorded and preserved in the Histories of Allegheny County.

Walters Family & Road

       John Walters was born in 1761 possibly somewhere in Pennsylvania.  At 15 years of age, he enlisted as a soldier in the Revolutionary War in 1776 after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.  John served as a private in the Continental Army serving under Captain Irvin’s Co. 8th Pennsylvania Regiment for a 3 year enlistment.  He was discharged in 1779 at 18 years of age.

       In 1794, John Walters was one of the first settlers to arrive in Hampton Township as the area formerly known as Pitt, later Pine, then McCandless and finally Hampton Township.  John Walters arrived shortly after James McCaslin, hunter and fur trapper, arrived and staked his claim on the land near Oak Hill Farms in 1794.  John Walters staked his claim and settled on land located along the present day Mt. Royal Blvd and Wyland Ave area, in the southern part of the township.  John Walters was 33 years old and married at the time of his arrival in the area.  He possibly received his land as payment for his service in the Revolutionary War.

       Sometime between 1795 and 1800, John Walters built his log house which still stands today at 3331 Mt. Royal Blvd.  The house and farm are pictured in the 1876 Everet’s History of Allegheny County.  John Walters and his wife, Catherine, farmed the area and raised their family. Their son David Walters, born in 1795, also lived and worked the farm with his father. The 1851 and 1876 maps of the area show David Walters still living in the area.

       John Walters died in 1846 and was buried with his wife, Catherine, on the family farm as was the custom in the days before cemeteries were available.  John Walters’ grave is located at the corner of Wyland and Center Avenues and is commemorated with a marker denoting his Revolutionary War service.  The grave is decorated every Memorial Day with a flag.

       The 1860 McCandless Census shows David and Sarah Walters still living in the area.  The census also shows two sons: Milo age 24 and George age 23 living with David and Sarah Walters.

       John Walters’ farm was also owned by the Wyland family and later the Agney family until it was sold for housing development in 1950’s.  Walters Road, John Walters’ farmhouse and his grave site serve as reminders not only as early pioneers in the development of Hampton Township, but also in the establishment of our country as a Revolutionary War soldier as well.  

© 2015 by Hampton Magazine. All rights reserved. No portion of this website may be repoduced in any form without express written permission.